Monday, June 20, 2011

Life's briefness...another sad lesson.

It's something we all do.  Complain about the small and meaningless things in life like a scratch on our car or a bad lunch.  The things that are stupid and petty.  But we all do it.  And it's sad to think that in most cases, it takes a horrible tragedy for us to even think about pausing our complaints for even a moment.  For us to realize that our grumblings are in fact quite insignificant compared to what really matters in life.  And unfortunately,  today I got one of those wake up calls. 

The minute I viewed my friend's Facebook page this morning, and saw the first RIP on the very top, my heart immediately sank.  And then, the list grew. People I knew and didn't know started flooding his page with heartfelt and sad comments.  His amazing life cut short by a simple kayak ride the very day he was to leave from his honeymoon...and begin the rest of his life.  

I hadn't spoken to him in years, only occasionally checking in on him online. Never for a moment thinking that the tiny kid on my father's baseball team, would one day be able to break my heart in such a way.   

So today I vow to forget those stupid and trivial worries that plague my mind on a daily basis.  And try to remember the bigger things...and how short life truly is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment