Thursday, January 13, 2011

That telephone's going to change my life...I think.

So I've been anticipating this moment for quite awhile now.  Purchasing my very first iPhone.  Of course I've had a mediocre smartphone for some time but in my eyes, it's really not the same.  The iPhone is just...can I say it...MAGICAL.  I fantasize about how it will feel just holding the thing...feeling the the corners of my mouth slowly rise with excitement when I acquire my very first app or receive my very first text.

For years, I have been tantalized and taunted by my social circle's angry bird games and other jazzy applications.  The lowest point so far had to be this past Christmas.  Everybody, including my little thirteen year old brother, embarked on an iPhones only word play game.  A game I obviously couldn't per take in do to my lack of "technology".  It was just surreal...seeming like my very own family had turned into some cult of iPhone zombies, giggling at their screens, turning their noses up at those who only use their phones to make calls.  You ask me, all this iPhone snobbishness... I think it's the new form of prejudice.  Technology prejudice!  

Well I'm tired of being left out, being embarrassed to take out my current phone as it anxiously vibrates in my purse.  Tired of people looking at me with shock when they realize I don't have the iPhone. Wondering how I could possibly go on living.  But why you ask can't I be one of the strong ones, like that guy at work who drives a Mercedes but pulls out his Motorola flip phone to make a call? My answer, because the thing is going to change my life!  Yeah I said it...and I almost believe it.  

The video calls to my oh-so-far-away family(not to mention being able to play that word game with them!)  The picture and video mail.  The thousands of old and new applications for any and all things.  And the best part, it's the new form of bonding.  Taking your iPhones out together is like having a jeep and waving to another jeep as you pass or like two smokers stepping outside for a cigarette.  It's a way of connecting in more ways than one.  You can bump your phones to share things, play games.  The sky(or should I say cell tower) is really the limit.


So anyways, a month from today I should have that beautiful little gem in my hand.  Maybe I'll even be typing this blog with it.  Will I be a happier, better person?  I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment