Friday, January 21, 2011

Passing your youthful usefulness...



I hit a big birthday the other day.  One I'd been dreading for almost ten years.  I remember waking up around midnight, watching the clock slowly turn, wondering if suddenly I was going to feel the luxuries of youth slowly slipping from my body.  And sadly, the only reason I had been fearing this day was simply because the world around me told me I should be.   In retrospect, one could theorize that this fear of aging we all experience is really a decades old marketing ploy put into the works so that women and men alike would feel the desperate need to buy anti aging products when the timer of life told them so.   

So what now?  What does one do in a world where they've passed their youthful usefulness?  You ask me, they should crack a smile and get ready to begin the real adventure.   Getting older has been the best thing that ever happened to me.  The younger me was selfish, hurtful, just inexperienced at life.  I've spent years making stupid mistakes that I wish I could take back.  But in turn, those same mistakes shaped me into the person I am today.  And in my opinion, at this point in my life, I have tremendously more to offer this world.  So to all those people who have big birthdays coming up.  To those who think your place in this world will become a little less significant when you're forced to reveal your true age...I say just remember one thing.  Remember that the number of years you've lived should only reflect how you've positively grown as a person.  And the only reason you should feel ashamed of how old you are, is if you haven't changed at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment